Happy 2010 everyone! I hope you all enjoyed your holiday. Mine was quite anticlimactic! Brian and I both fell asleep around 7:30pm and slept until 12:15! When we woke up, Ally was asleep on the couch–poor thing! I have no idea why we were both so exhausted but we completely missed the new year.
As for bookish news, I finished The Observations, by Jane Harris. I also read A Certain Slant of Light, by Laura Whitcomb and Letter to my Daughter, by Maya Angelou. All three were very different but all enjoyable in their own way. I would recommend all three.
I must admit I am not really the type to make New Years resolutions. I do have a few book related resolutions though, as follows.
-read Anna Karenina. Thus far I haven’t had the tenacity to pick this one up, due only to the sheer length of it.
-read 150 books this year. In 2009, I read 108, but the beginning of ’09 was a little slow for me, so if I can keep up my current pace, I think 150 is doable.
-read more from my shelves. Which, in turn, means don’t overdo it with the library! My purchased books are completely neglected because if I am not reading a library book, I am reading a review book. Hopefully I can remedy this problem in 2010.
I also plan on participating in Bloggiesta, which is January 8-10, 2010. It is hosted by Mawbooks.
Here are some suggestions for participating in Bloggiesta–the bolded are areas that I hope to work on.
- Write reviews.
- Write backup posts for a rainy day.
- Write that great post idea from three months back.
- Work on series posts.
- Write guest posts.
- Put out invitations for guest posts.
- Conduct and edit author interviews.
- Create template posts for your future reads (ie: title, images, linking, tags, etc,) so you can open up, write review and post without being bogged down with technicalities
- Clean up your tags, archives, books reviewed list, etc.
- Create a text file (or Google Doc) of cheat sheets (html codes, post url’s, etc)
- Improve your blog template, clean up sidebars, add a favicon, install those plugins that you’ve been meaning to do.
- Any bloggy type housekeeping that you’ve been neglecting.
- Clean up and update your challenge lists. Link up your posts with hosts.
- Make sure all of your social network profiles are up to date. Brand yourself through those profiles with color scheme, images, etc.
- Go get a gravatar.
- Visit the Blogging Tips group on the Book Blogs Ning and find ways to improve your blog.
- Work on any specialized projects that you may have going.
- Clean out and organize your feed reader and blog subscriptions.
- Create an elevator pitch.
- Make business cards.
- Find a blogging buddy.
Do you plan on participating in Bloggiesta? What are your New Years resolutions?